Golden Retrievers are proud members of one of the most popular canine breeds worldwide. They got their start way back in 1865 in the Scottish Highlands. This wonderful breed was originated by a nobleman named Lord Tweedmouth. He purchased a puppy and named him Nous, who happened to be the only member of a litter of retrievers who turned out to be yellow rather than the usual black. Lord Tweedmouth bred Nous and Belle, a Tweed Spaniel, and produced several pups who turned out to be yellow like their father.
For further defining the breed, Bloodhounds, Newfoundlands, Red Setters, and especially Labrador Retrievers were added to the mix. And, the GoldenRetriever was born. In the 1920s, Goldens became an official breed by the AKC. Golden Retrievers are constantly ranked among the very best five canines in the U.S. for popularity. And, any Golden owner can tell you why that is, including:
- They have beautiful temperaments.
- They’re extremely good and gentle with all children
- They’re easy to teach, from basic training to more advanced moves
- They’re always reliable and trustworthy
- They’re very hard workers
- They’re well-suited to being assistance dogs
- They make excellent search and rescue dogs
So, here are a few things about Golden Retrievers that only their lucky owners seem to know: