There are many older dog breeds out there. Some date back hundreds of years and some even further than that. But one dog breed that has stood the test of time has to be the Boston Terrier. These dogs are simply amazing animals and if you have ever owned one, then you can understand why so many people love them. Today we are going to learn five things about the Red Boston Terrier, which is a specific color coat that some in this breed have. So let’s get started getting to know more about these lovely little dogs.
- The first thing you noticed about these dogs is their different color coat. While they don’t have a bright red coat like some might imagine, it is more of a liver color. This color coat is extremely rare and many people have never seen one in person before. There are not a lot of people specializing in breeding these animals and the ones that do charge a large amount for them.
- They cannot compete in AKC dog shows because of their rare color. Sadly this is true, but many people are working hard to get them into these shows. But the American Kennel Club has refused many times in the past. While it is not clear if they will ever let these pooches in, there are many alternative clubs that have happily welcomed them.
- Even though they are disqualified as an AKC quality animal, these dogs fetch a high price. Many breeders are now charging upwards of a thousand dollars for these different color canines.
- They don’t have any health issues specific to their color coat. Many people believe that these dogs are more prone to health problems, simply because they look different. But this is a myth that has been disproved over the years.
- These dogs, just like the standard color coat date back to the year 1865. This is when breeders created these cute little dogs, by crossing a White English Terrier and a Bulldog. They have been a popular breed ever since and many people now own these lovely dogs.
Image via plummzilla at Flickr.com