America’s Dog Fighting Industry Unfortunately Still as Strong as Ever

Pittbull in cage

Our society considers dog fighting as a taboo because it is a clear act of animal cruelty, which is against our morals. But did you know that long time ago during the Roman Empire, dog fighting was a sport? In 43 A.D. when the Romans occupied Britain, they were amazed by the British fighting dogs’ aggressiveness. Then they imported the British canines to Italy and used them in war and entertaining the public. Gladiator dog is the term they used to describe a canine who fight against other animals such as wild elephants. The Romans crossbred the British fighting dogs and exported them throughout Western Europe including Britain.

Right after the Civil war, the new British fighting dogs found its way to the US. They were crossbred again creating a new breed that is popularly known as American Pit Bull Terrier. Dog fighting gained popularity right away in America. In the late 1860’s, most states outlawed dog fighting. Unfortunately, the ban didn’t stop it from gaining popularity worldwide. Currently, it is a huge underground industry in the United States.

Dog fighting is rampant and a big problem all over America. Sadly, this form of animal cruelty is an entertainment to some people who doesn’t have the heart to love and respect animals. In dog fighting industry, dogs are forced to fight for both entertainment and financial gain. From the Midwest to Upstate New York, this illegal activity seems to be operating everywhere these days. It’s a sign that this industry is very much alive in the US.

Tim Rickey, the Vice President of ASPCA and the leader of Field Investigations and Response rescue animals who are treated poorly. Rickey works with investigators to expose illegal dog fighting operations in the country. In 2009, his team and the authorities cracked down the largest ring in US history, the Missouri 500. In this bust, a total of 500 illegally confined canines were released from eight different states. Hundreds of dogs were recovered from the busts most of them are Pit Bulls.

The demography of people involved in dog fighting came from all walks of life, from poor to the rich and famous. An example was the case of Michael Vick, the famous NFL quarterback who was convicted for dog fighting in 2007. Vick’s case brought awareness of dog fighting to the public, which was followed by a wide demand of giving fighting dogs a second chance to live, instead of being euthanized.

Aditi Terpstra rehabilitates fighting dogs. Rescued canines are sent to rehab centers temporarily while waiting for their case’s decision. During the waiting period the dogs are being tested for adoptability—if a canine pass the test, he is going to be released to adoption shelters. According to Terpstra, about 40% of these dogs are deemed okay for adoption and the other 60% are euthanized because they are feared to be very aggressive.

We, the people can help prevent the dog fighting industry from flourishing by being proactive. Some of the dog fighting signs includes: dog with ripped ears and visible scars, chained to a heavy log chains. Also, take note of group of dogs coming and going often from one location. So if you notice any of the above signs contact the authorities in your area.

Image via crossfirecw at Flickr.com


Add Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

   
Sherman
Sherman Had an Amazing Journey from Rescue to Therapy Dog
Jake and Addie
Blind Dog’s Golden Retriever Sister Acts As His Own Guide
Frenchie
Meet the NFL’s First Emotional Support Dog Frenchie
This Lucky Group of Shelter Dogs Get the Makeover of a Lifetime
Border Collie Boston Terrier Cane Corso Chihuahua Corgi French Bulldog German Shepherd Golden Retriever Great Dane Pit Bulls Rottweiler Siberian Husky Tibetan Mastiff
10 Dog Breeds That Really Love to Sleep
What Defines a Dog as Being a Spitz?
The Five Most Popular Spaniel Breeds in the World
Dog Eating Pumpkin
Can Dogs Eat Pumpkins? Here’s Your Answer
What Does It Mean If Your Dog Can’t Pee?
The Reasons Dogs Lick Themselves Before Sleeping
Helpful Tips For Determining Your Dog’s Breed
How Long Does it Take for a Dog to Digest Food?
Spondylosis
What is Spondylosis in Dogs and How Is It Treated?
Foods That Can Help Your Dog’s Arthritis Pain
Dog Cancer
Possible Link Between Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Hypothyroidism, and Cancer in Dogs