A woman and her grandson were sleeping when a fire began to rage in their home on Long Island. However, because of the family’s loyal dog, tragedy was averted. On Monday, “Bear” the dog was an unassuming hero as he panted in the heat. But Carol Swinson is crediting the dog with saving her life. “I probably would’ve passed away,” if not for Bear, she said.
Unfortunately Swinson’s home in Brentwood has extensive damages and is now boarded up, however she’s grateful that Bear was around. As Swinson mentioned, the smoke alarms didn’t go off and eventually Bear, a 150 lbs Mastiff jumped on her chest to alert her. “I thought he lost his mind, because I explained to when I first brought him home, ‘The bed is mine the floor is yours,’” Swinson said.
Neighbors were aware of the blaze. Swinson woke up her grandson and got out of the house immediately. Amazingly Swinson adopted Bear from a shelter only two weeks before the fire. Bear was awarded a “biscuit key” to the town of Islip. Crews on Monday already had begun gutting the inside of the house. Bear and the family have been told they can move back in between eight and 12 months from now. Story via