Pet Appreciation Week, also known as PAW, is always the first full week in June, which means this year, pet parents are celebrating June 4-10. Now’s the time to show your dog just how much you appreciate all the love and loyalty he gives you year round.
We’re dog lovers at Bil-Jac, so we put our heads together and came up with our top ten ways to celebrate the week:
- Stock up on treats. This is probably the easiest way you can show your pet appreciation. Stock up on his favorite Bil-Jac treats — and consider trying some new ones!
- Buy something special. It could be a new toy, a blanket or even a bed. You can easily show your dog some extra love with something new they would enjoy. Take him shopping with you so you can choose the item together.
- Spend extra time walking or playing with your dog. Bust out that new toy and spend some time together! Or just take a longer or more frequent walk. Dogs love nothing more than having fun with you!
- Make and keep those vet appointments. Your dog counts on you to make sure he stays healthy and strong. So keep those check-ups and his vaccinations up to date! Having knowledge of pet first aid is a smart way to make sure you’re prepared for any situation.
- Consider microchipping. It’s estimated that one in three family pets will get lost during their lifetimes, and without proper identification, 90 percent will not return home. A microchip can significantly increase the odds of your dog being returned to you if he gets lost. The size of a grain of rice, a microchip can be placed under your pet’s skin right in the vet’s office. If you don’t want to microchip your furry friend, at the very least, make sure his license and tags are up to date.
- Perform a safety check around your home. Pet Appreciation Week is a great time to make sure your home is as safe as it can be for your pet. Check to be sure that all household cleaners, antifreeze and other potential toxins are locked away out of your dog’s reach. Do the same with small tools, batteries and other items small enough to pose a choking hazard. Mothballs, tobacco, nicotine replacement gum, rubber bands, string, dental floss and most sugar free gum can also be dangerous for your pooch, so keep them up and out of the way.
- Donate food, toys or other items to a local animal shelter. If you adopted your pooch at a shelter or rescue, say thank you by helping them take care of other pets. Animal shelters are in constant need of funding and other items that help them care for the animals they house. Many shelters have their own wish lists. Check with your local shelter or rescue to see what they need, then become a “forever” friend by donating.
- Assist an elderly or ill neighbor by walking their dog. Many elderly people have pets, but don’t have the ability to exercise them. You can help out by offering to walk their dogs for them. It’s a win-win for both the dogs and your neighbor — a simple act of kindness that will benefit everyone involved.
- Teach your dog a new trick. Whether your dog is a pup or is just ready for some new tricks, take advantage of the resources around you. Our learning library has plenty of videos to help you get started. Watch Joel Silverman, Hollywood animal trainer, as he walks you through the steps of teaching your dog everything from “stay” to “lie down” to “take a bow!”
- Schedule some grooming time. Whether you bathe your dog at home or make an appointment at your favorite groomer, every dog needs a date with a brush and some bubbles. Take some time this week for a good wash and nail trimming. Then show him off with a nice walk around the neighborhood!
Our pets make our lives brighter every single day. It’s amazing how much just a little extra attention can brighten theirs. How will you celebrate Pet Appreciation Week this year?
Bil-Jac, family-owned and operated, stands for more than 70 years of uncompromising dedication to the highest quality and freshest ingredients available. Offering a full line of Super Premium Dog Foods and Treats, Bil-Jac is committed to feeding dogs at every stage of life. Bil-Jac Believers include winners of AKC dog shows, as well as shelter dogs who have gone on to be television and movie star dogs. At Bil-Jac, pet food is not just our business – it’s truly our passion.