I fully accept that 95% of all dog owners and dog lovers (which are the type of people who obviously read this site) know this, but we feel the need to talk about it anyway. If we inform even one person and save their dog’s life down the road, it is worth talking about again. As most of you know, antifreeze is deadly poison to dogs. But in most cases, it is also a sweet smelling scent that draws them in. For this reason alone, you need to mind your antifreeze. Be aware of where it is, how easy it is to access, and make sure it is not leaking from your car.
The easiest way to limit any chances of your dog getting antifreeze poison is having a garage, and making that garage off limits to your dog at all times. You do that, you will have no problems. There are also many brands that go out of their way to either be non poisonous (just in case) or at least ensure they are not giving off the sweet odor that antifreeze gives us that makes dogs drawn to it in the first place.
But if you do have a garage, and you do let your dog in it, you just need to make sure you keep it high up and out of the reach of the dog (or its nose). Last thing you want is for something to happen to your dog that YOU know you could have avoided. As dog owners, it is our job to be as pro active in our dog’s safety and health as we can be.
It’s all about knowing what to do, and knowing is half the battle.
(Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images)