According to court documents a couple is suing their former super of an Upper East side apartment building after he apparently left their terrier Toto in a burning apartment which eventually burned down and the dog died. The couple says they were at work back in June of 2012 when their first floor apartment on 62nd street began to fill with smoke which was sparked by bad wiring.
The super, Nazim Taipovic, ignored neighbors who told him he should check it out. Taipovic worked on another unit in the building while ignoring the 1st floor. Eventually someone convinced him to check out the first floor.
“He opens the door, looks down and shuts it right away. It boils my heart to think people were there and could have rescued him,” Carmen Pacheco (Toto’s owner) said. The couple, both lawyers, also sued the management company, Akam Associates, and owners of the building, Winfield Security. Akam and Taipovic had no comment. Winfield did not return a phone call.
They are seeking damages of over $100,000 but say nothing will replace their dog Toto. Story via