A North Carolina woman has been charged with animal cruelty after she left her dogs in a hot car while she went shopping at Walmart Wednesday. Jennifer King left her two dogs unattended in her car for three hours while she shopped until about noon. Both dogs died – officials say the temperature inside the car reached up to 120 degrees. King’s windows were cracked open, but that didn’t do much for her helpless animals. Store employees called police after they were alerted by shoppers.
Spryte Anderson, the store employee who called the authorities, said what she witnessed is something she’ll never forget.
“To see a dead dog in the front seat of the car is bad, really bad,” Anderson said.
The 34-year-old Franklintown woman appeared in court Thursday to face the charges. Court officials report that King broke down in tears during court Thursday, but Anderson said that the day before it was King’s teenage daughter who was visibly upset over the death of their dogs.
“She lost it. She lost it. She was just screaming, crying,” Anderson recalled.
With record heatwaves in several parts of the country and summer looming around the corner, one of the most important things to remember is to never, ever leave your dogs alone in the car on a warm day. No matter how short your trip, it is dangerous and proven fatal for our beloved furry friends.
Photo Source: ABC 11