Not all dog owners are aware of all the things that can make their pup sick. It’s not only certain plants and foods, but cleaning supplies kept in the home can be toxic to animals too. Whether it is lack of knowledge or habit, the effects of many cleaning supplies need to be made aware to dog owners so that better, wiser decisions on what to use to clean your home, can be made. Many chemicals in cleaning products can effect children, pets, and adults as well. Pets and children seem to be the most susceptible to their ill-effects, putting them at risk for things like, allergies, cancer, kidney and liver problems, and anemia. Ingredients that are commonly used in products, such as, bleach, ammonia, chlorine, gycol ethers and formaldehyde are known to be toxic and aren’t safe to be around. For more details, keep reading to learn about five household cleaning products that should never be around dogs.
The effects of cleaning products
Of course this is a topic that really needed detailed studies to find out what cleaning products were capable of and how they can effect people and pets. Studies have been done to show the dangerous effects of common cleaning products, including the effects on pets. A lot of the studies proved that pets are not immune to chemicals, but in fact, quite the opposite. Many cleaning products have been proven to be unsafe for pets. One particular study conducted, focused on the quantity of volatile organic compounds found in cleaning products, or (VOCs). In this study, the vapor pressure in the products was measured, and the products that were studied were, Pledge, Lysol Disinfecting Spray, and Clorox Wipes. In these three products, the vapor pressure calculated was found to be a thousand times more VP than natural type cleaners. What this means for humans, and pets, is that, once the product has been put away, the vapors that continue to linger behind, are still able to be harmful for both humans and pets.
Other toxic ingredients and the risks they pose for people and pets include:
- Chlorine – Chlorine is often used in a number of products. You will recognize products like, toilet bowl cleaners, disinfectants, and dish detergent for dishwashers. But did you know that it is also used to bleach the coffee filters we use every day? Chlorine can cause an array of symptoms, from dizziness, to vomiting, even laryngeal edema (swelling). Of course it is recommended that you not use products with this chemical in them, and do not let your dog around them either. This also means that you should not let your dog swim in chlorinated water or pools.
- Monia – Monia is commonly found in glass and stainless steel, oven de-greasing products, and it has a very high VOC. This chemical is capable of burning mucous membranes, which can then contribute to asthma and other breathing issues. Mixing certain chemicals can make them much more dangerous, and monia is one that can be deadly if it is mixed with bleach. It creates a poisonous gas that can kill small pets.
- Formaldehyde – When many people think of this chemical, they think of biology class or a funeral home. The stench of it makes most people nauseas, but did you know that funeral homes aren’t the only place you’ll find this chemical? It’s also used in soaps and even in some pet shampoos. It has been determined that formaldehyde can contribute to asthma, and has carcinogenic properties. You should always check ingredients on pet shampoos and home products for formaldehyde and do not purchase them if it is listed.
- Glycol Ethers – Glycol ethers are commonly found in the glass cleaners you use on your mirrors and windows, and spot cleaners and carpet cleaners. Glycol Ethers have been found to cause lung and kidney damage, and anemia in both humans and pets.
Cleaning products that are dangerous for dogs in particular
There are plenty of cleaning products we use in our every day lives that are simply not safe for dogs. A lot of the cleaning products mentioned below, contain a lot of the ingredients listed above and they should be avoided.
- Floor cleaners – The bathroom cleaners that contain chemicals that are dangerous for dogs include, Mr. Clean and Pine Sol. Despite wiping or mopping up all the residual product, the vapors are unsafe and even toxic.
- Bathroom cleaners – Scrubbing Bubbles and Clorox Bathroom are listed as the dangerous bathroom cleaning products for dogs. Have you ever used one of the automatic toilet bowl cleaners that continuously clean your toilet? Clorox Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner is one, and it is very dangerous for dogs, especially since dogs can be drawn to drinking out of the toilet. If you own a dog, never put these in your toilets.
- Drain openers – Yes, these can be helpful for a quick fix to a clogged drain, but they put off fumes that are dangerous to dogs. There are natural ways of unclogging drains, including plunging or Earth Friendly Enzymes Drain Opener.
- Glass cleaner – Instead of using Windex or other glass cleaners, use Nature Clean Window and Glass Cleaner, or vinegar and water. They are safe and not harmful to dogs.
- All-purpose cleaners – Formula 409 is a popular all-purpose cleaner and Mr. Clean Multi-Purpose is another. These contain toxic chemicals for dogs and should never be used in a house where there are dogs. Look for all-natural ways to clean surfaces that won’t harm your pet.
- Laundry detergent – Residue from many detergents is left behind on clothes, despite going through a hot rinse cycle. When your pet licks you and your clothes, blankets and other fabrics that have been washed, it can be harmful to your dog. Down East’s Liquid Laundry Detergent is a better alternative – safe and toxin free.
Nontoxic cleaning products should be used instead, and of course, any type of cleaning product or chemical should always be kept out of reach from your dog. Dogs are sneaky and mischievous , just like children. They can even often figure out how to open cupboards and of course, they like to chew. Putting child proof locks on cabinets and keeping things in the garage on shelves, is one way to help prevent your dog from getting into toxic chemicals and harming them or causing a fatality.