We’re always trying to give a little guidance on choosing the right dog breeds. It’s hard, we know. But that’s why we have so much information on which dog breeds to choose and for particular reasons. Today’s breed article focuses on dogs that are smart. Plenty of dogs are smart and understand us humans but these 13 can do it quicker and easier than the rest. Enjoy our picks for the 13 smartest dog breeds in the world.
1. Border Collie: A workaholic, this breed is the world’s premier sheep herder, prized for its intelligence, extraordinary instinct, and working ability.
2. Poodle: Exceptionally smart and active. Bred to retrieve things from the water. The miniature variety may have been used for truffle hunting.
3. German Shepherd: The world’s leading police, guard, and military dog — and a loving family companion and herder.
4. Golden Retriever: Intelligent and eager to please. Bred as a hunting companion; ideal as a guide and as assistance with search-and-rescue operations.
5. Doberman Pinscher: Known for its stamina and speed. Bred to be a guardian and in demand as a police and war dog.
6. Shetland Sheepdog: The “Sheltie” is essentially a miniature working Collie. A rough-coated, longhaired working breed that is keenly intelligent. Excels in herding.
7. Labrador Retriever: An ideal sporting and family dog. Gentle and intelligent.
8. Papillon: A happy, alert breed that isn’t shy or aggressive. Known as Dwarf Spaniels in the 16th and 17th centuries, they reach 8-11 inches high.
9. Rottweiler: Robust and powerful, the breed is happiest with a job. Suitable as a police dog, herder, service dog, therapy dog, obedience competitor, and devoted companion.
10. Australian Cattle Dog: Happiest doing a job like herding, obedience, or agility. Energetic and intelligent.
11. Belgian Malinois – The Belgian Malinois is a very-fast-learning, highly-trainable, high-energy, versatile working dog. They can make great pets for highly-active, high-energy families. But a Belgian Malinois will not be happy unless he gets lots of daily exercise and has a job to do
12. Yorkshire Terrier – Adaptation of living environment: suitable for living in the city apartment or a home. Very smart
13. Cardigan Welsh Corgi – The Cardigan Welsh Corgi equals big personality in a little dog. These are intelligent, active, alert little guys who will want to be the center of your world. They love to be with their families, and will shower you with loyalty, devotion and affection. Highly trainable and learns commands very quickly.